Friday, May 27, 2011

Where Did You Go?

Having not posted since July 2010, let me explain myself.

The remainder of July was busy with job interviews and follow-ups. After creating the previous entry, Job Search Organizer, all I really needed as a spreadsheet to keep track of my job interviews and resume submissions.

BASS COMPUTERS
After a few failed interviews, I got a job in August with Bass Computers in Houston Texas as a Web Designer/Developer. Although I accepted the job, the pay was much less than I hoped for but more than nothing ( and about the same as unemployment). My days contracting for Jenobi were inconsistent and almost over. I was told my pay at Bass was a starting pay, and without asking more questions about benefits, I started the job.

My daily responsibilities were to update items on the online store and print flyers for the front lobby store. My ongoing project was to update and improve the quality of the website. I lacked the confidence to grab this opportunity and do it right and my enthusiasm quickly faded. I was in an office with a nice desk and the women in accounting. I got to use a digital camera to take new product shots and I think the detailed descriptions I was adding were much better than before. The downside was I didn't get a good feeling there - and I wasn't clicking with people - it was not an interactive environment - it was very fast paced.

I got a call about a new job and decided to follow up on it. This new offer came with a salary, benefits and better everything. I got hired two weeks later.

Consolidated Graphics
I started at CGX as a Programmer in September. Although the first few months I was scared of my abilities, it has improved since then ten-fold. The lures where immediate. CGX met me halfway on the interviewing process, allowing for after-hour calls and lunch time interviews. Right away in the first week, I had met more people there in my first week than in my month with Bass.

I have been working in postscript and javascript as well as html, xml, and graphic programs such as illustrator. I picke dup pageflex and have gotten to work with high-end clients. Although I thought Bass was doing great stuff with thier recycling programs and got to learn alot about computer hardware, this was more up my alley.

PERSONALLY
In November, after putting my girlfriend through a year and a half of shady employment and stress I proposed to her with more promise than before. We got married on April 30th and now are trying to get into a house.

Thank God for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment